Music Education at Somerdale Park School
“If music be the food of love, sing and play on.” – William Shakespeare
Opportunities in the Music Department
General Music Classes
- Provided to Grades K-5 with emphasis on rhythmic and melodic music literacy and exposure to major styles, composers and eras of music.
- Performance Ensembles – many students both sing and play an instrument!
- 85 singers from grades 5-8.
- Rehearsal – one period per week on a rotation schedule.
- Junior Chorus
- 75 singers from grades 3-4.
- Rehearsal – one period per week.
- Select Small Ensembles
- At the discretion of the Director
- Rehearsal – after school as needed.
- Concert Band
- 45 players from grades 5-8.
- Band Rehearsal – one period per week.
- Instrument Lesson – one period per week on a rotation schedule.
- Beginning Band
- 25 beginning players from grades 4- 5.
- Sectional lessons – one period per week.
- Jazz Band
- Select players by audition.
- Rehearsal – after school one day a week.
- Performance Requirements: Two evening Music Concerts per school year
- Evening Concert – mandatory participation required by all ensemble members.
- Dress Rehearsal – mandatory participation the day of the performance.
Benefits of a Student’s joining Park School Choruses and Band
- Positive impact on developmental skills including speech and language, memory and attention, and the ability to convey emotions.
- Improved brain function. Stronger reading skills, increased math abilities and enhanced spatial intelligence.
- Higher standardized test scores and better grades in High School.
- Pride, self-discipline, higher self-esteem, improved team work skills.
- Active music making increases spatial-temporal reasoning, a key component in developing higher math skills.